Friday, October 7, 2011

Two quilt tops finished!!

I'm on a roll! I have finished 2 quilt tops!!



This afternoon I finished stitching all the diamonds together! (sorry the photo is sideways!) After being inspired by seeing Wanda have her top completed and Melissa (who was in the Kaffe and Brandon class too) get her quilt all finished, I decided to get my diamonds out and get them all together.
It is all machine stitched, so it didn't take long to sew up. I am quite happy with how it turned out. My favourite block is the one with the bird.
Now to choose a binding and backing fabric.

The next quilt is much smaller and has been a UFO for even longer! Remember Midnight Stars???
I started the blocks waaay back in January. I wasn't happy with my piecing (I still need lots of practice at machine piecing tiny pieces of fabric!) so I put it away.
A little later the blocks came out again. Then I procrastinated about the setting fabric!!
Finally, a couple of weeks ago it was third time lucky for this little quilt.


It is still a bit wonky, but I hope with some quilting (and not looking too closely!) it will end up OK.
I have backing and binding fabric chosen, so hopefully this little one will be a finished quilt soon.

I have started embroidering the owl corner blocks for Tailfeathers (oh it feels good to be hand stitching again! :)), so I hope to have another finished top soon!

I must admit I still prefer to hand stitch rather than piece on the machine. Hand work may be much slower, but I find it much more relaxing. (and I find I am more accurate too).
Do you prefer hand stitching or machine work?

I have another new button on my side bar. It is for Janet's  Trailing Vines Quilt Along. Janet is making a quilt inspired by Susan McCord's Vine quilt and she has kindly offered to share her pattern with anyone who is interested. The quilt has panels of vines with pieced leaves that are all appliqued. It is an amazing quilt!  Will you be joining in?

Have a great weekend, everyone!

17 comments:

  1. Two lovely finishes - the colours on the Kaffe diamonds are gorgeous. So glad you are back to hand work - I love my sewing machine but I find hand stitching much more relaxing.
    As tempting as it is, I'm not joining in with the Trailing Vines as I already have the Hearts and Flowers quilt underway and the pattern for Stars and Sprigs sitting waiting (I'm not allowing myself to start until something is finished!) Enjoy stitching your corner blocks - I think my Tailfeathers is one of my favourite makes ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi miriam,what beautiful finishes,congratulations,you can be very proud,have a nice weekend,susi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh thank you Miriam for the shout out.
    Your tops look really fantastic to me, sometimes finished is better than perfect especially when it's an aging ufo.
    I like to machine piece from time to time but I think I'd have to be primarily a handworker since that's more relaxing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. two great finishes, I love your midnight stars, the fabric choices are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous finishes. I've never done diamonds but it's on "the list."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two lovely finishes, and so different from each other! Your blue diamonds are gorgeous and so serene. And Midnight Stars seems happy to me--fun to look at. But I hardly consider it a UFO--it only dates to January and hasn't properly "aged" a decade or two! :) I don't think I'll be doing Janet's quilt--too many applique projects underway (and too many decade old UFO's in the cupboard already). It does look like fun though, so who knows...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are both beautiful! I really love the second one, wonky seams and all! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. pretty - I have been thinking of making that one that Wanda did as well and had followed her progress on it.
    Karen
    http://karensquilting.com/blog/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Kaffe quilt looks fabulous! I have had plans to do that quilt for almost a year now but just don't have the time. Thank you for reminding me about it by showing your's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited that the Kaffe top is done. It looks fabulous. Not sure if your struggled with some of the diamonds fitting together or not. I did, but it didn't seem to matter once it was quilted. Hand stitching is more accurate but machining is faster so I tend to machine the top and hand stitch the quilting bits. It is so much more forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Confession - I still haven't finished the quilt I started from a Kaffe/Brandon workshop...and I'm stepping away from the Susan McCord quilt along - SO beautiful and tempting....
    Love your finishes - congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've been working up a storm since I last visited. Both lovely. I'm working on a new BOM which has lots of little pieces as well, I find them difficult to piece when there are so many and small. Your setting of your blocks is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful tops Miriam! That last one doesn't look wonky from here -- but if it is, quilting cures lots of ills!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear that you are stitching again. Well done on your finishes. Love the Midnight stars. Please do not tempt me with another project . I am sitting on my hands at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your finishes! They are both great, and so very different in style. Yes, I will be doing Janet's QAL. Can't wait to get started.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woo-Hoo! Nice job on both of them!! Love your midnight stars, but i think it needs a new name;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your Midnight stars quilt - I recognized it right away. The setting square fabric is wonderful - maybe I need to make another :0) Yes, I am joining the trailing vines quiltalong- I can't resist. I won't be getting it completed on her timetable though...

    ReplyDelete